Sunday, September 30, 2012

Upset with Blogger

I just spent the past 2 days creating a blog to upload.  When I uploaded it, none of the text would appear.  It was there, just hidden.  When I tried to edit it, the entire post disappeared except for the title and I was unable to recover it. This is unacceptable. From now on, all posts will be created in MSWord, a much more stable platform, and then uploaded to Blogger.  If this occurs one more time, I'm going to shut down this site and go to WordPress.

UPDATE 9/30/2012

Okay, after spending about 3 hours researching it, being able to recover the post seems hopeless. I have to harken back to something my grandmother always told me, "You get what you pay for." And since I don't pay to use Blogger, I guess I should expect nothing in return.

Anyway, in case you ever have this problem, here are a few of the things I tried. May you have more luck than I did:

1) Search your history for a cached version of the site when the post was still available.

2) In your browser, search for "site:" with the web address of your blog after the colon (no space). This will take you to a full listing of just the cached pages of your site. Search through them for a version that included the post. This only works if the search engine swept your blog at just the right moment to catch your post.

3) Use the Wayback Machine to see if it captured your post.

4) If you use Firefox, type in "about:cache" in the address bar. This will take you to a database of cached information that Firefox stores. There will be a number of cache categories. In each one, click on "List Cache Entries". This will take you to a full list of the cached entries under that category. Hit Control+F and type in the name of the post, then search for entries that contain this. This is where it gets complex, so I'll turn it over to the capable hands of the people at RLM where I found the info on how to do this: http://www.rlmseo.com/blog/recover-deleted-posts-using-firefox-cache/

5) Subscribe to a your blog as a Post Feed in a Feed Reader (such as Google Reader). If the post was ever uploaded, it will feed to this and you may be able to recover it even if it is deleted from the main blog.

6) Do all your posts in MSWord, save them on your computer and any other back-up device you choose, and then upload them to Blogger....my personal favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment